Tuesday 17 April 2012

Welcome to the Experiment!

This blog is designed to track the highs and lows of the development of a new turn based strategy game for the iPad and Mac. The game is based on classic board games, such as Risk and Samurai Swords/Ikusa. The working title of the game is "Riskoid", but that will change once I get around to thinking up a better name!

At the moment, I have a working prototype of the game, which I'm going to start letting people play. Normally, I wouldn't dream of releasing a game that is this unfinished, but as the game's so broad is scope, I figured the sooner people start playing it, the better it will become. On the other hand, it could be as buggy as all hell and people might hate it. I'm hoping for a nice middle ground!

The game is being developed using v2 of the cocos2d framework. Whilst the game is not that graphically intensive, I love the fact that with a few small tweaks, I can pump out both a Mac and iOS version using the same code. Sweet!

As the game needs quite a large screen to be sensibly played, I've decided to produce an iPad and Mac version, but not an iPhone version. There's no technical reason for not having an iPhone version, but I just think of the small screen, it might be too fiddly to play properly. No small screens for you!

Anyway, please come back periodically and check what I'm been up to!

Cheers,

Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment